Introduction to Herbalism & Medicine-Making
At the Santa Cruz Permaculture Farm
6 weekends in 6 months
April – September
Join seasoned herbalist Devalina Waring and guest instructors for a comprehensive introduction to herbalism and medicine making.
In this practical and fun class, participants will learn how to source, make, and use a wide range of herbal medicines. We’ll build your home apothecary by making tinctures, syrups, oils, salves, lotions, pastilles and much more. We’ll introduce herbal actions such as Adaptogens, Calmatives/Sedatives, Immunostimulants, Qi tonics and Harmonizers that can be grown in our gardens or sourced locally. We’ll also discuss the crucial role diet and nutrition play in promoting our vitality, immunity, and resilience to stress. Whether you’re interested in herbal medicine and want to begin your journey or are just looking for natural ways to support your energy and nervous system, relax more, and sleep better, all within a supportive community of practice, this class will teach you an abundance of tools that you will use for decades to come.
Course Dates & Times
Join any time! Sign up now for the whole series or join us midway through the program.
Saturday 10am to 5pm & Sunday 10am to 3pm
April 8-9, 2023
May 13-14, 2023
June 10-11, 2023
July 8-9, 2023
August 12-13, 2023
September 9-10, 2023
All sessions include plant walks, plant sits and lots of hands-on making & crafting.
- Explore the basics of herbalism: the how, what and why we use herbs.
- Explore the language of plants, learn how to engage with plants and become familiar with botanical vocabulary.
- Study herbal actions, constitution basics, and herbal dosage.
- Gain proficiency in the art of tea making and blending. Learn about infusions, sun teas, decoctions, and more.
- Learn about ethical wildcrafting.
- Discover how to source high quality herbs and learn best practices in drying/storing herbs.
- Explore digestion and nutrition basics to support overall health.
- Learn how herbs can support the digestion system.
- Discover herbal flavors and taste, and how they interact with the body.
- Learn to identify plant families, their scientific names, and cultural history of plants.
- Understand the reproductive parts of plants, and how plants
photosynthesize and communicate across landscapes.
- Make your own plant press, collect plant specimens and press and preserve them.
- Explore the basics of plant constituents.
- Learn about herbal monographs and materia medica.
- Make various herbal culinary items like herbal salts, vinegars, oils, pesto & herbally-infused ghee.
- Gain understanding of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system and the benefits that a well regulated nervous system can provide.
- Learn about adaptogens, Qi tonics, and Nervines.
- Understand herbal safety protocols such as herbs and dosage for children and elderly.
- Discover the supplies needed for making herbal preparations.
- Make herbal body oils, salves, lotions & poultices.
- Explore the basics of oxymel, tincture, and glycerine making.
- Learn about garden basics for setting up your own herbal garden.
- Gain proficiency in herbal garden design and implementation.
- Gain proficiency in propagating, harvesting and tending to your
medicinal herb garden.
- Harvest plants for spring detox and learn about the lymphatic system.
- Explore herbs for building a healthy immune system.
- Learn all about immunmodulators and immunostimulants.
- Explore the wonderful world of medicinal mushrooms.
- Make herbal syrups and fire cider.
- Make herbal gummies and pastilles.
- Explore a home apothecary & herbal garden tour
- Learn about herbal vinegars and botanical waters
- Learn about herbal first aid and the tools you need to make your own
first aid kit that’s tailored to your lifestyle.
- Make flower essences & electuaries.
- Take a deep dive into tincture and glycerite processing.
- Harvest and celebrate.
$1295 – Full Tuition
$1195 – Early Bird Discount – Register before February 1st and Save $100
$1095 – Super Early Bird Discount – Register before March 1st, 2022 and Save $200
$295 – One Session Only
$995 – Partner / Spouse Discount – When one partner registers for the full course, the second gets a discount
$995 – Teacher Discount – For K-12, College and University Teachers
$795 – Youth Discount – When an adult registers for the full course, their child gets a discount (ages 13-18)
Give someone the gift of permaculture! Purchase a gift card.
Please Inquire about Payment Plans, Low-income, BIPOC Discounts